Winter Warmer Recipe

A place to discuss and swap recipes.
Jorge Hernandez

Winter Warmer Recipe

Post by Jorge Hernandez »

Hey there y'all I'm looking to brew a winter warmer as my last brew for the year sometime in December and would appreciate some feedback on the recipe I've created. I have built the following recipe for a 3gal batch after looking through various other recipes on the internet. The idea was basically build strongish ale that will have some sweetness and malt character that will be complemented by the addition of spices.

Malts
-------------------------------
Maris Otter - 8lb (72.7%)
Victory Malt - 1.5lb (13.6%)
Caramel 60L - 12oz (6.8%)
Special B - 8oz (4.6%)
Chocolate Rye - 4oz (2.3%)

OG (assuming 71% mash efficiency) : 1.074

Hop Schedule
--------------------------------
1oz Willamette (5.5% AA) @ 45 mins ~ 22.1 IBUs (according to Brewfather)
1oz Willamette (5.5% AA) @ 20 mins ~ 14.6 IBUs

Total IBUs: ~37

Let me know what y'all think! I don't have exact numbers for the spices yet, but I will be making a tincture and then adding the appropriate amount after fermentation. The spices I am thinking of adding though are some combination of cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, and cardamom. Also let me know if there's any other information I should include, thanks!
David Jones

Re: Winter Warmer Recipe

Post by David Jones »

What yeast are you using?

Also 8 oz of special B in a 3 gallon batch sounds high, it might be good but I am cautious about using too much caramel malt.
Jimmy Orkin

Post by Jimmy Orkin »

My go to book for recipes is Brewing Classic Styles by Jamil Zainasheff and John Palmer.

I would look at their Old Ale and English Barley Wine recipes. The Old Ale uses Black Trecle which might add some interesting flavors.

I would like to taste your final beer when you make this.
Jimmy Orkin
2024 IT Guy
Jorge Hernandez

David Jones wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:12 pm What yeast are you using?

Also 8 oz of special B in a 3 gallon batch sounds high, it might be good but I am cautious about using too much caramel malt.
Still on the fence on which one to use. I'm thinking some an English or Scottish ale yeast. At the moment I have Wyeast 1028 - London Ale noted down on my recipe.

Also yeah! I wasn't sure how much Special B to use. I've read online to use it sparingly. Less is more kinda deal. I thought keeping it sub 5% was fine, but I can definitely bring it down if that's still too high.
Last edited by Jorge Hernandez on Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jorge Hernandez

Jimmy Orkin wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:33 am My go to book for recipes is Brewing Classic Styles by Jamil Zainasheff and John Palmer.

I would look at their Old Ale and English Barley Wine recipes. The Old Ale uses Black Trecle which might add some interesting flavors.

I would like to taste your final beer when you make this.
Awesome! Thanks for the references. I'm hoping to get this brewed early-mid Dec, so perhaps it will be ready for tasting by the Jan brew day or org meeting!