Glycol Chiller Maintenance

A place to discuss equipment used in making beer. Kettles, Tuns, Fermentors, All in One, Chillers or any other devices you can think of.
James Smith

Glycol Chiller Maintenance

Post by James Smith »

Sadly, my Blichmann chiller went out while we were on vacation. I think it is the PTC relay/overload protector, but not sure until I can replace it. I ordered a new one and transferred the old glycol over. It has never been changed out since I got it a few years ago and I have only added a little water once presumable due to a little bit of evaporation. It got me to wondering about breakdown of glycol over time and concentration to gravity. The information I find on the web is very confusing about glycol concentration to gravity reading, so I'm wondering if anyone knows what 35% glycol to water dilution should render in specific gravity/brix? Also, I find very little about propylene glycol breakdown over time. Jimmy, I know you have some insights. Can you share what you know? Anyone else know anything about this? I don't want to even start my new chiller without knowing my fluid is within the recommended parameters.
Cheers!
Smitty
Jimmy Orkin

Re: Glycol Chiller Maintenance

Post by Jimmy Orkin »

I found this link in the past that gives SG to percentage by volume and weight: http://www.ppe.com/pdf/SpecificGravity.pdf

I was unaware of Propylene Glycol deterioration until Wayne said his glycol was pink with something growing in it. I now set my chiller to 50F when not in use instead of turning the unit off.

I needed to add a gallon of glycol to my chiller so I just did a 80/20 mix by volume. I have not tried to use SG to measure it. The chart above looks reasonable.

I do remember when I ordered my glycol there was an option for "inhibited" glycol but it seems to be for high temperature applications. I bought 5 gallons of the plain Propylene Glycol.

Here is the link at Duda Diesel: http://dudadiesel.com/search.php?query=propylene+glycol

A couple of thoughts:
1. The 80/20 percentage or whatever percentage you want to use is in mass not volume. I realize I did that wrong now. Not a big difference by the chart.
2. You could make a some mix of glycol water at the percentage you want and measure the gravity for future reference.
Jimmy Orkin
2024 IT Guy
James Smith

Post by James Smith »

Thanks, Jimmy. This helps clarify. The manual only says: " add a mixture of 35% glycol and 65% distilled water." So, obviously that's a 35% glycol solution. I just measured the SG and it shows 1.046-1.048. Unfortunately, that does not correspond to a 35% solution. I have reached out to Blichmann for clarification as well. I did not have anything pink in the fluid, but there was some cloudy opaque stuff floating in it which I filtered out in the transfer. I also read something about bacteria or fungus essentially fermenting the glycol solution and reducing the percentage and acidifying the fluid. In a closed system, this could cause degradation of internal components. I do not know what truth there is to this.
Cheers!
Smitty
James Smith

Post by James Smith »

Updates: The chart you provided Jimmy does correspond to a 35% by volume mix of glycol to water. I don't know how I got to 1.046, but will be adjusting by diluting with water in the new chiller.

Regarding the old chiller, as of this morning it is running again thanks to a rebuild of the start relay. This little device is part of the PTC start relay and overload protector on the side of the compressor. It contains some sort of metallic-ceramic disk(pic below) that can fail and break. This is exactly what happened. I could never find an exact replacement for the part(pic below), so I purchased a generic relay and pulled the disk out of that. All I had to do was make sure it was rated at 4.7 ohms. I also replaced the start capacitor even though the old one tests as good.

Lastly, I now have a working Blichmann glycol chiller for sale if anyone is interested. I sort of panicked since I'm hosting the brew day in September, plus they gave me a 20% discount on a new one for my troubles :D
Attachments
start relay chip.jpg
start relay chip.jpg (79.67 KiB) Viewed 567 times
PTC Start Relay Overload.jpg
PTC Start Relay Overload.jpg (92.8 KiB) Viewed 567 times
Cheers!
Smitty