All in One

A place to discuss equipment used in making beer. Kettles, Tuns, Fermentors, All in One, Chillers or any other devices you can think of.
Kirk Reagan

All in One

Post by Kirk Reagan »

Hello!
I am brand new to the club! Went out for the brew day in July and met a few of you and learned a ton. I used to brew about 10 years ago and want to get started again. I have never done all grain but want to have that as an option. I have all of the equipment to make an extract batch. However, I am looking to maybe change my equipment up. I am looking for something that doesn't take up a lot of room (3 vessel systems are out...), is easy to use, easy to clean and makes great beer. I have been looking into some of the All in One's. So I'd love to hear from folks that have tried both a traditional system and an all in one and see what their experiences have been and if anyone has any recommendations for a particular system. I do have access to a 220 plug in my garage.

Thanks!
Kirk
Walter Hodges

Re: All in One

Post by Walter Hodges »

I know Mark Rendon uses a Grain Father or similar system and he wins a ton of competitions.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Mark Rendon

Post by Mark Rendon »

Hi, Kirk.

Welcome to the club! I have used both the Grainfather and Anvil Foundry all-in-one systems, and I really like both. I generally prefer the Anvil Foundry, as I have found clean up to be easier, and I prefer to use an immersion chiller over the counterflow chiller. There are companies that produce immersion chillers that are specifically designed for all-in-one electric systems. I'm sure you can look up the specifics of these (and many other similar systems e.g. BrewZilla, Mash & Boil, Clawhammer) on their respective websites.

In general, you can easily maintain your mash temps, recirculate, lauter, and sparge with all of these systems. Going from mash out to boil generally takes longer with an electric system. However, since you have access to 220v, it should be much faster and have a more vigorous boil. Good luck and please reach out with any specific questions.

Mark Rendon

P.S. This is my inaugural post on the new forum!
Kirk Reagan

Post by Kirk Reagan »

Thanks I was already leaning towards the Anvil Foundry. Do you use a bag in the malt pipe or just the malt pipe? Any recommended accessories? Thoughts on their pump vs another aftermarket one?

Thanks!
Kirk
Mark Rendon

Post by Mark Rendon »

I just use the malt pipe that comes with it, as well as the Anvil pump. I don't use any aftermarket products with it, and I replace the silicone tubing once or twice a year. It's a pretty slick brewing system that has produced some good wort for me. I'm planning on a stout here pretty soon! Take care.

- Mark Rendon
Terry Olinger

Post by Terry Olinger »

Hi Kirk, If you are still looking at different all-in-one systems, North Texas Homebrew supply sells the Brewzilla, and we will be brewing on our 35L system on Saturday September 10th. I have not brewed on the system before and will be taking it for a test brew today (I work for Eric at the shop). Our shop system is a 35L 240 volt system, version 3.1.1. Brewzilla comes with an immersion chiller and a built in recirculation pump, The Versions 4 is coming out soon which adds wifi/bluetooth, higher grain capacity and some other improvements.
Kirk Reagan

Post by Kirk Reagan »

Thanks Everyone!
Jimmy Orkin

Post by Jimmy Orkin »

The Brewzilla is engineered by Kegland in Australia. Those guys have great ideas. I have the Fermzillas and really like them. The key to the Fermzillas is to watch all their videos!

Here is a link to their overview of the Brewzilla gen 4, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfy0c321Pg4.

This system is compelling. Makes be wonder if I could convert my three vessel system to something like these all-in-ones.
Jimmy Orkin
2024 IT Guy