Cutting corners to make a well rounded beer

Discussions about the brewing process, ingredients, etc.
David Jones

Cutting corners to make a well rounded beer

Post by David Jones »

This is primarily meant as a test post for this form.

Having small kids I am continually looks for ways to simplify my brew day. I have switched to full volume 45 minute mash, and a 45 minute boil. Using a first wort hop addition helps makeup for the lost isomerization of the shorter boil. I have experimented with no chill on smaller second runnings batches, and might try that in the future on the main batch.

I am now questioning if there is any value in whirlpool/hop stand additions vs late kettle additions and a dry hop.

If anyone has shortcuts they like to take I could be glad to hear them.
jimmyadmin
Site Admin

Re: Cutting corners to make a well rounded beer

Post by jimmyadmin »

I moved this topic to a new forum about process. Look in the "Brewing Process, Ingredients, etc." forum to make replies.

Jimmy
Jimmy Orkin

Post by Jimmy Orkin »

I have very long brewdays. To make them resonable, I stage as much as I can the day before.

Setup my TopTier stand.
Run all the power and signal cables.
Setup my table and get all measurement instruments ready.
Weigh out my water salts.
Load the HLT and MLT with their water.
Weigh and crush my grain.

That gets me started much earlier.
Jimmy Orkin
2024 IT Guy
James Smith

Post by James Smith »

I've not tested any theories surrounding late editions/hop stands/whirlpooling/dry hopping other than what my experience has been. For a style of beer where hop aroma and flavor are necessary, I have found and evolved to whirlpooling between 140-160 and splitting dry hopping schedule between two charges 3-4 days apart. This works very well I have found. On an advanced level, recirculating the dry hops if you can, is also beneficial to maximize contact time.

Relative to shorter mash times and boils, it's all a matter of hitting your target gravity, and where applicable, bitterness levels. I have seen even 30 minute mash and boils...again, you just have to account for that in your recipe.

What Jimmy said about prep the day before applies to anyone and will help you on actual brew day. I would say generally speaking, being very organized will also save you some time. When you know things are, you spend less time fumbling for this or that. Also, repeating your process time and time again should also allow you to shave minutes off. Brewing consistently also keeps you in "brewing shape". I find if there is a long pause between brews, the first time back can be a little rough.

Good discussion. Thanks.
Cheers!
Smitty
James Smith

Post by James Smith »

Regarding shorter mash times, I made a post about this and also the mash temp hydrometer. If you are interested in shorter mash times, I think one of these would help. Here's the link on mash times: https://youtu.be/3ZrrVRxPP4w
Cheers!
Smitty