Beersmith calculated Attenuation

Discussions about the brewing process, ingredients, etc.
Jimmy Orkin

Beersmith calculated Attenuation

Post by Jimmy Orkin »

I am building a recipe in Beersmith. When I look at the calculated attenuation, it seems too high.

I found a setting in "Options->Advanced" that adjusts fermentability based on Mash temperature. Turning off Adjust FG for Mash Temp made Beersmith act as I expected. I do believe that different mashes can affect fermentability. I was not aware that Beersmith had a setting for it.

What do you have set for this option. Do you find turning on this setting matches your Final Gravity?

The picture of the setting is listed below.
Attachments
Beersmith attenuation setting.
Beersmith attenuation setting.
AttenuationSetting.jpg (27.74 KiB) Viewed 546 times
Jimmy Orkin
2024 IT Guy
James Smith

Re: Beersmith calculated Attenuation

Post by James Smith »

I have not used this but perhaps will. I've been pretty content just to fall close to the expected outcome, but would definitely like for it to be more predictable, especially at higher and lower mash temps.

I looked at my last brew, which I mashed at 152. Without the box checked, it estimates attenuation at 71%. With the box checked, it estimates attenuation at 72.9%. My actual attenuation was 74%. So, it sounds like based on one brew, the opposite occurred and I actually got closer, albeit slightly, to my attenuation with the box checked. Brewing a Belgian Pale this weekend and will see how that turns out.

Since the center is 153.5, I assume mashing at 152 might not provide that big of a swing. So, I put in a test brew of 25 lb 2-row for an 11gal batch mashed at 146 and fermented with WLP001. With the box checked, it estimates 85.3% attenuation. Without is 75.6. Quite a huge jump. When I set the mash temp to 156, it goes from 72.4% attenuation with the box checked to 75.6 without the box checked. So, it is definitely accounting for higher and lower mash temps into the fermentability of the wort.

Good to know!
Cheers!
Smitty
Jimmy Orkin

Post by Jimmy Orkin »

More of a Beersmith comment. I think I am ok with the magic that goes on inside Beersmith. At least this adjustment has the ability to control it. I wish all of these adjustments that Beersmith makes were documented somewhere. For instance, what goes on in the scaling procedure? There is a checkbox for Match original gravity, color and bitterness. It does not seem to do anything when I played with it. And I want a linear scaling anyway (unless I knew what the non-linear scaling was doing.

I started with ProMash. Promash did no magic inside. You could reproduce all of its calculation by hand.
Jimmy Orkin
2024 IT Guy
Walter Hodges

Post by Walter Hodges »

I was not aware of this setting. I use the FG estimate as more of a guide as what to expect and have not really paid much attention to comparing my actual with estimated. My setting is to adjust for mash temperature. For comparison I looked at my last three brews. The FG was spot on for two with the adjust for mash temperature turned on. With it off all three were off by several points. The setting for mash temperature is 153. So, it appears that the further away from 153 you get the more variation you have in the estimated and actual FG. BTW, I was not happy with the fermentation of the Berliner Weiss. Maybe I need to pitch two packets next time.

Actual FG Adj On Adj Off Mash Temp
German Pils 1.011 1.011 1.014 148
Berliner Weiss 1.011 1.005 1.007 149
Ordinary Bitter 1.011 1.011 1.012 152
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.