Dry Hopping in an Anvil SS Bucket

A place to discuss equipment used in making beer. Kettles, Tuns, Fermentors, All in One, Chillers or any other devices you can think of.
Randy Grogan

Dry Hopping in an Anvil SS Bucket

Post by Randy Grogan »

I typically bag by hops for dry hopping and put a SS weight in them to keep them submerged but tie a string to the bag so that they dont drop to the bottom of my conical.

I just picked up an Anvil SS bucket and have been planning to do the same but it doesn't look like it will be as easy with this thing. Main reason for this is that the hole in the lid is significantly smaller than my conical so I cant squeeze the bags-o-hops through it. The only way to get them it is to crack the entire lid open but that will let a bunch of O2 in. So I've been thinking of biting the bullet and just dropping them in free like I know many do.

But this recipe had a 6oz dry hop which is pretty big for a 5G batch. So I'm not sure if that will be too much for the Anvil. I've read mixed stories online, some saying they've had the pickup tube clog while others say no-prob plus you can rotate the tube up so that its well above any hub/trub in the kettle.
And yes I will do a cold crash for ~3 days before kegging...

Anyone on this forum have any firsthand experience wit this?
Randy Grogan

Re: Dry Hopping in an Anvil SS Bucket

Post by Randy Grogan »

I'm gonna toss'em in "Commando"!
Randy Grogan

Post by Randy Grogan »

6 ounces IN THE HOLE....
James Smith

Post by James Smith »

How did it go? I go commando too and drop them in through the top port. I will attach CO2 to the blow off tube with it running about 3PSI while I add the hops. Then let it purge for a few more seconds. You could do something similar with any ferm vessel.
Cheers!
Smitty